N.E.W. Backpack Buddies is to provide food to hungry children in our region and to enrich their lives by giving them a greater opportunity for growth, learning, and development.
Typical weekend bag contents
- 1 large canned entree; chef boyardee, hearty soup
- 2 small canned protein; beanie weenie, beef stew
- 1 mac and cheese individual serving
- 1 ramen noddles individual serving
- 2 cereal boxes; individual servings
- 1 instant oatmeal
- 1 bar
- 1 fruit cup
- 1 applesauce
- 1 sweet snack; poptarts, raisins
- 1 salty snack; pretzles, goldfish
- 1 protein snack; Lance crackers, individual serving of peanut butter
- 2 fresh produce
- **15oz jars of peanut butter are sent home every six weeks
- Kelley Barnes (President)
- Lauren Repenyek
- Robin Brannigan
- Jessica Menas
- Linda Thornton
- Michelle Peck
- Jodi Freudig
- Natalie Garrett
Backpack Buddies was started in 2006, as a youth mission at Rolesville Baptist Church. Jeff Pethel was the youth minister and had seen a young child in a convenience store scraping money together to eat a meal. His mission grew quickly due to his compassion and dedication.
In September 2011, North East Wake Backpack Buddies developed into a 501 c(3) non-profit organization separate from the church.
High school students from across Wake County have joined together to form a student board. They dedicate their time to develop fundraising opportunities, help with packing bags, and promoting us through social media.